Novalearn Community Guidelines
Novalearn is an online community on a mission to celebrate every child’s individuality, to teach you everything you need to be anything you want. We have a library of creative projects and life-skills videos with challenges and assessments, combined with an amazing community of kids. We need your help to make Novalearn a place where all kids ages 17 or younger feel safe, welcome, and inspired to be awesome!
When you sign up for Novalearn, you agree to honor the following Guidelines to be responsible digital citizens:
- Be Creative: Focus on trying something new and building your skills. There is no wrong method.
- Share what you are making. Your uploads should be relevant to what you are learning and making based on the Course. Pictures or videos unrelated to Novalearn’s challenges may be removed to keep the community focused on creative awesomeness.
- Seek achievement. Focus on your projects. It is great to ask for feedback from the other Novaliers or directly messaging the teachers.
- Be original: Share your own stuff
- Be yourself. Your Novalearn portfolio should be all about you and the unique things you are making and learning. Sharing of accounts between multiple user is not allowed.
- No copying. Novalearn is a space for you to show off the things you’ve made yourself. Don’t post or take credits for images you found online. Always ask for permission before borrowing or referencing something that someone else made, and be sure to give them credit in the comments.
- Impersonating. Pretending to be someone else or disguising one’s identity is not allowed and will result in a ban.
- Be safe: Keep your personal information private and never ask other Novaliers for theirs.
- Keep personal stuff secret. Never post your full name, home address, phone number, email address, where you go to school, links to your other social media accounts, gamer tags, or any identifying info online. Also, remember that your parents have access to everything you share and comment on Novalearn!
- Respect others’ privacy. Everybody has unique preferences about their online safety. Avoid asking other Novaliers for their personal info and always get someone’s permission before posting their face, name, or any other identifying info online.
- Choose a unique nickname. Be sure to choose a nickname that doesn’t disclose any personal info. If you need to change your nickname to protect your privacy, let us know!
- Avoid money transactions. Novalearn is not a place to buy or sell things. To avoid scams and safety concerns, never ask for or give our info related to money exchanges (like credit card numbers).
- When in doubt, report. If someone on Novalearn asks for your personal info, always say NO. If they persist, or if you ever feel unsafe on Novalearn, report the user to Novalearn moderators and tell your parents or a trusted adult.
- Do not meet. Novaliers are encouraged to share their work via Novalearn and not meet in person anyone without a parents or legal guardian consent.
- Be friendly: Show kindness to all Novaliers
- Embrace others’ differences. Novalearn welcomes kids of all backgrounds, races, ethnicities, religions, abilities, body types, gender identities, sexual orientations, and education types. Unfriendly language, discrimination or threats based on these or any other identities are never ok.
- Include everyone. Novalearn is a space to meet other kids whose lives are different from your own. Be kind and inclusive when sharing your beliefs or responding to others sharing theirs. Posts that aim to criticize, convert, or otherwise devalue others’ beliefs or identities are not allowed.
- Be helpful: Share tips and encouragement with other Novaliers (and be patient with them while they learn)
- Support others’ growth. Novalearn is a place where everyone learns and grow. Constructive criticism is allowed and encourages, but straight-up negativity is not. When commenting on others’ projects, say something you like about it and offer suggestions! If you don’t have anything helpful to contribute to a project, you probably don’t need to comment on it.
- Help others learn. Whenever possible, include details about how you made something or what inspired you! This makes it easier for other Novaliers to learn from you, think of yourself as a Teacher Assistant. Remember: other Novaliers may be younger, may have less experience posting online, may learn differently, or may speak a different language than you. Be polite and patient when helping others, even if they annoy you or ask questions that may seem obvious.
- Be respectful: Share projects and comments that are appropriate for everyone, including younger Novaliers
- Keep language clean. Profanity (AKA “swear” or “bad” or “cuss” words) is not allowed. Videos, photos or comments that include profanity will be removed.
- Stay age-appropriate.
To keep Novalearn suitable for kids of all ages (17 and under), posts that include, refer to or link to mature content (including written descriptions, images, audio, or video) are not allowed. This includes but is not limited to:
- Use of drugs, alcohol or other age-restricted/illegal substances
- Suggestive or explicit romantic content
- Cyberbullying or making threats
- Sensitive personal topics like self-harm or depression
- Excessive gore, violent imagery, or violent weapons
- Shocking events like natural/manmade disasters or tragedies
- Keep things covered. Wear appropriate clothing when documenting your challenges or projects (no swimsuits or leotards, please!). Photos or videos that show you or other people partially-clothed are not allowed.
- Look for friends, not crushes. Novalearn is a safe place to learn life skills and make creative projects, not a place to look for romantic partners (“flirt”), or discuss your crushes. Avoid commenting on others’ appearances or asking for relationships on/through Novalearn.
- Use English. We think non-English languages are totally awesome, but our system isn’t yet multilingual (Plus, we have an amazing English Course by Krista). Until the system or moderators learn more languages, English is the only language allowed on Novalearn (unless you’re posting to a “language” challenge, like “say hello in another language”).
- Be a role model: Show good judgement, stay positive and be an awesome digital citizen.
- Keep it positive. Novalearn is a great place to express yourself. However, some types of expression aren’t suitable for all ages and should be avoided on Novalearn. Please don’t put yourself down (e.g., “I hate this”, “I’m no good at this”) or encourage mean or non-constructive criticism from other Novaliers. We encourage positivity like “Let’s do this!”
- Take the high road. Don’t respond to negativity with more negativity. If you see something on Novalearn that goes against our community guidelines, report the Novalier or comment so the Novalearn moderators can handle it.